Medication Awareness for Care Homes and Social Inclusion Centre 22/23
Date & Time:
-Care staff in Nursing and Residential Care Homes, including those from the PVI sector who work with those placed in care homes in the London Borough of Sutton
- LBS Support and Inclusion Team operating the Sutton Inclusion Centre.
The overall aim is to develop a general awareness of medicines and be able to follow legal requirements and guidelines. The session is run as a live Zoom group training session with a tutor. Additional videos and resources will be used to help focus learning, including case studies and quizzes to help embed the learning into real-life situations.
By the end of the training participants will have an understanding of:
- the legal requirements and guidelines relating to the administration of medication in social care settings
- the current procedures and practice for the ordering, supply, receipt, storage and disposal of medications
- the key points of drug administration and systems available
- incorporating safe infection control policies and procedures with regards to Coronavirus and Covid 19 in the administration of medication
- reporting medication errors, incidents and undesirable effects
- the main points of care settings’ agreed administration of medication procedures
- the policy on self-administration, covert medication and homely remedies
- professional accountability and confidentiality for medication and the legal issues and the role of the unqualified member of the staff
- how to give different types of medicines such as eye drops, cream etc.
- the 5 rights of Medication administration
- the principles of good practice and record keeping
- All learners will need to have access to a Laptop/PC/Tablet and have Internet access. Workbooks will need to be completed electronically (via word or editable PDF).
- Please note that Zoom does not work with Internet Explorer or Safari and there will be issues with sound or video. An up-to-date browser such as Google Chrome or if you have a windows-based laptop, you can find Microsoft Edge by typing it into the search in the start bar.