Dysphagia training and update on new food and drink classification-22/23
Date & Time:
This course is for health and social care professionals who have a role to support those who have swallowing difficulties and includes staff in nursing homes, residential care homes and learning and disability residential homes, the START team and the Inclusion team.
Please note this course is not open to domiciliary/home care providers.
The aim of this course is to develop an improved awareness of the role of the specialist community speech and language therapist and what is involved in:
- undertaking an assessment and management of swallowing;
- modification of food and fluids, and:
- the new IDDSI classifications.
- The normal and impaired swallow.
- Diagnoses and conditions that can cause Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties).
- Difficulties observed with an impaired swallow.
- Implications of Dysphagia.
- Assessment of Dysphagia.
- Management/therapy of Dysphagia.
- Thickener and the new food and fluid classifications (IDDSI).
- Saliva control.
- Oral care.
- Alternative feeding.
The training will involve a demonstration of a feeding exercise with another participant and you will be paired up with someone else if not already attending with a colleague from your workplace. If someone cancel the training at short notice, you might be contacted to be booked on to the next session.