Moving and Handling People - Practical Induction for LBS Staff and all PVI- All delegates must bring their own PPE, gloves, masks, aprons and gel and bring their own lunch
Date & Time:
Public Health Guidance
New or inexperienced Staff working within:
-The London Borough of Sutton the START Team, Occupational Therapy Team, and any other relevant LBS team;
- Home Carers and carers from Approved Domiciliary Care Providers from the Private, Voluntary and Independent sector. (Please note priority is given to LBS Staff).
Please note this session is not open to Residential and Nursing homes – other selected Practical Induction dates are open to all Social Care staff - please read carefully the target group when booking.
This course is suitable only for those who are significantly actively involved in moving and handling adults with physical disabilities. This will be reflected in the practical component of the course and staff will be expected to fully participate to practice their people handling skills.
This is a basic level induction Course suitable for staff who are new to moving and handling or who have never attended moving and handling training or who are very out of date with their handling skills and training.
ADDITIONAL NOTES/SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
This course is unsuitable for staff who work solely in areas where the clients are fully ambulant and require no significant assistance with their transfers or for those where handling is solely to manage behaviour which can be challenging.
This course is unsuitable for staff who have significant musculoskeletal disorders which would limit their practical participation.
All staff must arrive on time, be able to complete the day and come dressed appropriately for a practical moving and handling course. This includes wearing stable footwear and clothes which allow them to participate both as a handler and as a model in the session.
This is an Induction course to Moving and Handling People where staff will be able to carry out a basic manual handling assessment, choose from a range of handling techniques and equipment and demonstrate a selection of manoeuvres accepted as current practice to assist a person to move in a safe manner.
By the end of the session, delegates will have:
- Gained knowledge on The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 directly affects them at work
- Gained the ability to demonstrate the application of safer handling principles which reduce risk to a minimum when handling people in common situations given to them by the trainer
- Gained confidence to recognise and the ability to discuss common hazards at work, identify high risk activities and state why and when handlers may be at risk of an injury and when they must report a problem. They will be able to state a number of steps to take towards minimizing the risks. They will be able to quote the four areas of an ergonomic assessment
- Gained the ability to apply the concepts of risk assessment to a common handling scenario and state the relevance and importance of reading and writing clear and
accurate documentation as required in the current legislation.
- Gained the ability to demonstrate the use of a range of handling equipment available through outlets and the CES service and state the criteria for its use and any potential risks. This includes equipment which can encourage the independence of the service user, standing and raising aids, slide sheets, mobile hoists and equipment to manage a fallen person.
- The ability to identify their limitations and to state where to go for more help and information within the Borough and external to the Borough when needing further expertise
- The knowledge of which handling techniques are not acceptable by national manual handling guidelines and explain their reasoning
- Knowledge on the purpose and general principles of safe hoisting and the understanding of potential dangers of hoisting.
- Accessed demonstrations and experienced as a group safe use of a mobile sling lifting hoist and general purpose sling
- Gained understanding of how a range of common medical conditions may affect how a person can be moved and how the attitudes and feelings of clients can also affect the handling task
|Education - Cognus||No Limit|
|Education - Early Years||No Limit|
|Education - Other||No Limit|
|Education - Schools/Colleges||No Limit|
|Foster Carer||No Limit|
|LBS Adults/Childrens - All Age Disabilites||No Limit|
|LBS Housing and Regeneration||No Limit|
|LBS Other||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Admiral Nurses||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Carshalton Locality||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Clinical Health||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Heads of Service||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Hospital Pathway||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Learning Disabilities||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Other||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - START||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Sutton and Cheam Locality||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Transitions||No Limit|
|LBS People Adults - Wallington Locality||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Adoption and Permanence||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Blue Locality||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Children with Disabilities||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Court||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Director / Assistant Director||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Early Help||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Fostering||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Green Locality||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Heads of Service||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Integrated Childrens Services||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Leaving Care Team||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Looked After Children||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - MASH||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Other||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Placements||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - QA||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - RAS||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Red Locality||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Sutton Inclusion & Support||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Targeted Youth Support||No Limit|
|LBS People Children's - Youth Offending Team||No Limit|
|NHS - Clinical Commissioning Group||0|
|NHS - Community Services||0|
|NHS - Hospital||0|
|NHS - Other||0|
|Private - Domiciliary Care||No Limit|
|Private - Nursing Home||0|
|Private - Other||0|
|Private - Residential Home||0|
|RBK Shared Service||0|
|Sutton Housing Partnership||0|