Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence (Children Safeguarding)
Date & Time:
Target Group / Level
This course is targeted to those in Group Level 2 (regular contact with children, young people and/or parent/carer) or Level 3 (predominately working with children) or above (including strategic leads) as set out in the Safeguarding Competency framework in London Safeguarding Child Procedures. NHS Inter-Collegiate Standards 2 for health professionals or above.
Course Overview / Aim
The aim of this course is to help professionals and volunteers to develop a good working knowledge of “honour” based violence and forced marriage, and how to safely respond to child safeguarding concerns in this area
By the end of the workshop participants will be have:
- Developed a deeper understanding of “honour” based violence and forced marriage
- Improved confidence in identifying/recognising the risk factors that can make women and girls vulnerable to harmful practices
- Improved confidence in identifying the signs that a woman or girls is at risk of, or experiencing, harmful practices
- An improved understanding in the key ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ in relation to intervention
- An improved awareness of relevant legislation around harmful practices
- Improved knowledge of the role of various specialist organisations that can support women and girls
This will be achieved by covering the definitions and the different forms of violence within this. It will involve looking at case studies, statistics, and barriers to seeking protection, legislation, best practice and effective referral.