Medication Awareness for Home Care Providers - Virtual
Date & Time:
Home care (domiciliary care) providers who deliver services to London Borough of Sutton residents
Please note, this course is not open to staff working in care/nursing homes.
The overall aim is to develop a general awareness of medicines and be able to follow legal requirements and guidelines. The session is run as a live Zoom group half day training session with a tutor. Additional videos and resources will be used to help focus learning, including case studies and quizzes to help embed the learning into real-life situations.
By the end of the training participants will have an understanding of:
• the legal requirements and guidelines relating to the administration of medication in social care settings
• the current procedures and practice for the ordering, supply, receipt, storage and disposal of medications
• the key points of drug administration and systems available
• incorporating safe infection control policies and procedures with regards to Coronavirus and Covid 19 in the administration of medication
• reporting medication errors, incidents and undesirable effects
• the main points of care settings’ agreed administration of medication procedures
• the policy on self-administration, covert medication and homely remedies
• professional accountability and confidentiality for medication and the legal issues and the role of the unqualified member of the staff
• how to give different types of medicines such as eye drops, cream etc.
• the 5 rights of Medication administration
• the principles of good practice and record keeping
•The Zoom link to access the session will be provided one or two days prior to the event.
• All learners will need to have access to a Laptop/PC/Tablet and have Internet access.
• Workbooks will need to be completed electronically (via word or editable PDF).
• Please note that Zoom does not work with Internet Explorer or Safari and there will be issues with sound or video. An up-to-date browser such as Google Chrome or if you have a windows-based laptop, you can find Microsoft Edge by typing it into the search in the start bar.