Medication Awareness for Care Homes and Day Centres - Virtual
Date & Time:
Care staff in day centres, Nursing Homes and Residential Care Homes, including those from the PVI sector who work with those placed in care homes in the London Borough of Sutton.
The overall aim is to develop a general awareness of medicines and be able to follow legal requirements and guidelines. The session is run as a live Zoom group training session with a tutor. Additional videos and resources will be used to help focus learning, including case studies and quizzes to help embed the learning into real-life situations.
By the end of the training participants will have an understanding of:
- the legal requirements and guidelines relating to the administration of medication in social care settings
- the current procedures and practice for the ordering, supply, receipt, storage and disposal of medications
- the key points of drug administration and systems available
- incorporating safe infection control policies and procedures with regards to Coronavirus and Covid 19 in the administration of medication
- reporting medication errors, incidents and undesirable effects
- the main points of care settings’ agreed administration of medication procedures
- the policy on self-administration, covert medication and homely remedies
- professional accountability and confidentiality for medication and the legal issues and the role of the unqualified member of the staff
- how to give different types of medicines such as eye drops, cream etc.
- the 5 rights of Medication administration
- the principles of good practice and record keeping
- All learners will need to have access to a Laptop/PC/Tablet and have Internet access. Workbooks will need to be completed electronically (via word or editable PDF).
- Please note that Zoom does not work with Internet Explorer or Safari and there will be issues with sound or video. An up-to-date browser such as Google Chrome or if you have a windows-based laptop, you can find Microsoft Edge by typing it into the search in the start bar.