Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Refresher (half day)
Date & Time:
Venue:Sutton Civic Offices, G2, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
Staff Groups A, B, C, D, and E as per the National Mental Capacity Act Competency Framework. NHS Intercollegiate Level 2 and above: all staff that have regular contact with adults at risk, their families or carers, or the public.
Note: This course is not suitable for staff with limited experience of the MCA or DoLS, see special instructions.
This training session aims to update and refresh participants’ knowledge of DoLS and provide updates on case law to ensure that practice is legally compliant.
Following the completion of this course, participants will:
- Have explored and fully understood a range of judgements that have been made by the Court of Protection in relation to DoLS, in particular any recent case law which informs practice
- Have reviewed and reflected on how the Supreme Court rulings of March 2014 in the “Cheshire West” and “MIG and MEG” cases have changed our understanding of what constitutes a “deprivation of liberty”
- Know how to complete the relevant paperwork to make an application to the local authority for authorisation to deprive a person of their liberty (applicable to residents in care homes and patients in hospital settings)
- Know how to complete the relevant paperwork to make an application directly to the Court of Protection for authorisation to deprive a person of their liberty (applicable to people who live in supported living, Shared Lives, sheltered housing, and their own homes)
- Have an understanding of what constitutes a community DoLs
This is an update/refresher course which is not suitable for staff with limited experience of the MCA or DoLS. Please book DoLS awareness if you have not undertaken this training previously.
Trainer:St Thomas Training
Venue Details:Sutton Civic Offices, G2, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
(020 8770 5000)