Person centred dementia care
Date & Time:
London Borough of Sutton staff and commissioned contracted CQC Services. This course is suitable for all those working in a care environment where they are supporting service users with Dementia e.g. START Team, Adult Social Care staff, residential care, nursing care, home care, Personal Assistants, and supported living.
To make a positive difference to the person experiencing dementia.
By the end of training session participants will have :
- An understanding of the nature of dementia, the various ways in which people might be affected, and how to support people to achieve maximum independence.
- Acquired knowledge of the different stages of dementia
- A greater understanding of the causes of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia and how to minimise the impact of these.
- Gained skills on practical approaches on manging distressed behaviours in dementia
- An understanding of how the environment can effect a person with dementia
- Gained knowledge of the importance of knowing people with dementia as individuals.
- An understanding of what person and relationship-centred care and gained skills on how to put this into practice
- An understanding of the importance of writing in a person-centred way
- Greater understanding of how best to communicate with people with dementia.
- Gained knowledge on non pharmacological therapeutic interventions in dementia
- An understanding of the appropriate use of medication in dementia
- Greater confidence when delivering personal care to a person with dementia.
- Shared knowledge and experiences with people in other care settings.