Substance Misuse and Young People
Date & Time:
Target Group / Level
This training is targeted to Group Level 2 (in regular contact with children, young people and/or parent/carer) or Level 3 (predominately working with children) as set out in the Safeguarding Competency framework in London Safeguarding Child Procedures. NHS Inter-Collegiate Standards 2 and 3 for health professionals. It is also targeted to foster carers.
Course Overview / Aim
This course will help workers understand the types of drugs and alcohol young people use, why they use them and how things are changing. There is increasing evidence of young people using substances, such as ketamine, MDMA, Cannabis and a range of legal highs including alcohol. The course will help people recognise drug/alcohol issues among young people and respond appropriately. The course will also look at when you should refer the person to a specialist for further help.
By the end of the course participants will:
- Describe the nature and extent of substance use amongst young children
- Provide some substance related advice and information to young children
- Clarify their role in supporting a young person's substance misuse
- Understand when to involve other agencies
- Understand Hidden Harm/Parental Drug Use