Neglect and an Introduction to Assessment Tools 22/23
Date & Time:
Target Group / Level
This training is targeted at professionals in direct contact with children who undertake or contribute to
risk assessments and multi-agency meetings including social workers, family support workers, foster
carers, health professionals, schools, police and others who work with children at risk of abuse, neglect
Group Level 2 (regular contact with children, young people and/or parent/carer) or Level 3
(predominantly working with children) or above (including strategic leads), and NHS Inter-Collegiate
Standards 2 and above for health professionals.
The course will support participants to recognise, assess and manage neglect cases through child focused interventions.
• Be familiar with key up-to-date research in relation to childhood neglect, including messages
from local and national Serious Case Reviews, and have considered the implication for practice
• Appreciate the complexity of the multi-faceted definition of neglect and the concept of cumulative
• Be able to distinguish between indicators of neglect, across different stages of child
development, and risk or protective factors
• Have considered barriers to recognition of neglect and know how to effectively challenge
parents or carers to achieve better outcomes for the child or young person
• Identify measurable child focused interventions to support children, young people and their
• Understand the requirements to capture the voice of the child in all stages of the referral,
assessment and planning stage, and preparing reports for multi-agency child protection
conferences and other meetings.