Dysphagia training and update on new food and drink classification
Date & Time:
This course is for Social Care Staff who support Sutton residents with swallowing difficulties, in Nursing and Residential Homes, by invitation only.
Should all the places not be taken, they will be offered to all the Care Homes and to Carers employed by the London Borough of Sutton, in particular the START Team.
Please note this course is not open to domiciliary/home care providers within the private, independent and voluntary (PVI) sectors.
The aim of this course is to increase knowledge of the role of the Speech and Language Therapist with regard to assessment and management of swallowing; modification of food and fluids and the new IDDSI classifications.
By the end of the session participants will have increased knowledge about:
- The normal and impaired swallow.
- Diagnoses and conditions that can cause Dysphagia (swallowing difficulties).
- Difficulties observed with an impaired swallow.
- Implications of Dysphagia.
- Assessment of Dysphagia.
- Management/therapy of Dysphagia.
- Thickener and the new food and fluid classifications (IDDSI).
- Saliva control.
- Oral care.
- Alternative feeding.