Moving and Handling People - Risk Assessors 4.5 Day Course (LBS staff only) Reviewed 2020
Date & Time:
Experienced carers and senior care staff including Occupational Therapists or Assessment Officers with responsibilities for manual handling risk assessment employed by the London Borough of Sutton.
This course is suitable for those who are directly working with, or supervising others working with clients who require significant assistance to move and transfer and for those requiring a more in depth knowledge of moving and handling people due to their working with clients with complex handling needs.
All delegates must be experienced and have had previous moving and handling training to attend this course.
This course is only for staff employed by the London Borough of Sutton - if spaces become available invitations will be sent to providers who can then apply.
The purpose of this training is to apply the process of manual handling risk assessment and risk reduction when handling and moving people in their care. This is in order to protect service users and care givers from manual handling related injuries and implement the Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992 (2002) and other associated legislation and codes of practice.
Participants are required to attend all 4.5 days.
Due to Covid-19, to protect all the delegates, we have reduced the number of spaces to 5.
It is also important that all delegates:
· Do Not to come in if not well
· Remember to wash hands regularly
· Practice respiratory hygiene measures
· Maintain social distancing
· Bring own PPE (gloves, masks, aprons and gel)
· Bring own refreshments
NO PARKING is allowed within the Sutton Inclusion Centre grounds. Please allow for additional time to park within roads nearby.
By the end of the session, delegates will have updated their knowledge and will have:
- The ability to state the responsibility of employer and employee regarding current manual handling legislation and be aware of current acceptable practice as per HOP6
- In depth understanding their role as a risk assessor within Sutton and state where to find help and support
- Gained skills to Implement the Boroughs manual handling policy and keep staff and service users date by offering appropriate support for personalize support plans
- The ability to demonstrate the application of the principles of manual handling risk assessment, complete documentation and demonstrate good handling practice for their services users and deliver examples of good quality assessments
- Knowledge of the causes of injury and confidence to apply the basic principles of handling and the use of handling equipment to minimize risk by demonstrating a good range of relevant practical techniques.
- The knowledge to be able to choose appropriate control measures to reduce risk and know when to seek help when given a relevant scenario
- Gained knowledge of when manual handling is not indicated and an alternative system of work be employed.