Epilepsy Training and Emergency Administration of Medication
Date & Time:
Venue:Sutton Civic Offices, G5, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
London Borough of Sutton staff, in particular the Support and Inclusion Team and other staff working within Adult Social Care and commissioned providers within Nursing, Residential and Day Care Services, including Home Carers. Places will be offered to those in the PVI Sector that meet the required criteria when places are not taken up by LBS staff.
The course will include :
- An Introduction to epilepsy.
- Video of types of seizures.
- Causes, diagnosis and management of the person who is experiencing seizures.
- Treatment, medication.
- Status Epilepticus, Risks and Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy.
- Rescue Medication: Buccal Midazolam
Uses and effects, good practice in the administration.
Demonstration and practical exercise.
Importance of individual guidelines, recording and communicating with persons involved in their care. When to call for ambulance.
Quiz/ Questionnaires pertinent to the day’s course
After attending this course attendants will have:
- Developed their understanding of the management and support of adults who have epilepsy in the community.
- Developed an understanding on how certain temporary factors can have an impact on seizures e.g. infection, constipation, menstruation, other.
- Gained the ability to recognise different types of seizures, their causes and how to manage this.
- Developed an awareness of the treatment and prescribed medication that individuals have including rescue medication.
- Developed knowledge on how to respond in an emergency situation.
- Developed knowledge about the theory and practice around the administration of Buccal Midazolam.
Gained ability to effectively record and communicate with those involved in the care of the individual
Booking has now closed for this event.
Trainer:Alan Lim Ltd
Venue Details:Sutton Civic Offices, G5, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
(020 8770 5000)