Epilepsy - Administration of Rectal Diazepam and Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
Date & Time:
London Borough of Sutton staff, in particular the Support and Inclusion Team and other staff working within Adult Social Care and commissioned providers within Nursing, Residential and Day Care Services, including Home Carers, whose clients require the administration of Rectal Diazepam + Vagal Nerve Stimulation.
Places will be offered to those in the PVI Sector that meet the required criteria when places are not taken up by LBS staff.
The half day course covers theory and practice around the administration of Rectal Diazepam Medication and Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS) to manage epileptic seizures. .
The course includes:
- Video followed by discussion;
- Demonstration and practical exercise;
People attending this course must have previously completed the full day Course on Epilepsy
After attending this course attendants will have:
- Developed knowledge about the theory and practice around the administration of Rectal Diazepam.
- Gained understanding of usual reactions to Rectal Diazepam (including precautions)
- Gained ability to recognise safety implications and when to call 999
- Developed knowledge about the theory and practice around Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
- Gained Knowledge on VNS possible side effects
- Gained understanding on patients experience