Forced Marriage and Honour Based Violence (Adult Safeguarding)
Date & Time:
Target Group / Level
Group Level 2 (regular contact with children, young people and/or parent/carer) or Level 3 (predominately working with children) or above (including strategic leads) as set out in the Competence Still Matters training framework published by the London Safeguarding Children Board. Inter-Collegiate Standards 2 for health professionals or above.
To help professionals develop a good working knowledge of “honour” based violence and forced marriage, and how to safely respond to child safeguarding concerns in this area.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
• Have a deep understanding of “honour” based violence and forced marriage
• Have confidence in identifying/recognising the risk factors that can make women and girls vulnerable to harmful practices
• Have confidence in identifying the signs that a woman or girls is at risk of, or experiencing, harmful practices
• Have an understanding in the key ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ in relation to intervention
• Awareness of relevant legislation around harmful practices
• Have a good knowledge of the role of various specialist organisations that can support women and girls
This will be achieved by covering the definitions and the different forms of violence within this. It will involve looking at case studies, statistics, barriers to seeking protection, legislation, best practice and effective referral.