Continence Care for carers
Date & Time:
Venue:Sutton CCG, Priory Crescent, Sutton,
Target Group / Level
• All London Borough of Sutton staff working within Adult Social Services, Housing and Health
• All Carers in Care Homes within the Private Voluntary and Independent Sectors within Sutton and those who look after Sutton’s residents.
Please note this course is not open to Domiciliary care providers.
To promote the safe and effective management of peoples’ elimination needs:
Participants will have a good understanding of the causes of incontinence and factors that influence maintaining continence. Participants will be able to monitor bladder and bowel function, recognise changes and understand potential actions to take. Participants will know how to safely provide care for people with indwelling catheters. Participants will be able to apply new knowledge about continence and its management to their practice.
By the end of the training session participants will be able to:
• Discuss what it means to be continent
• Describe strategies that will promote continence
• Describe the intrinsic and extrinsic causes of incontinence
• Describe the potential health and psychological consequences of being incontinent of urine and/or faeces and the risks from constipation
• Describe ways to monitor bladder and bowel function
• Discuss actions to take if there are concerns
• Demonstrate how to provide catheter care, including maintaining comfort, dignity, infection control and safety.
Venue Details:Sutton CCG, Priory Crescent, Sutton,
(020 3668 1200)