Domestic Abuse and Coercive Control - Virtual
Date & Time:
Adult Social Care staff in the Council, Private, Independent and Voluntary (PVI) sector supporting Sutton residents in residential care, nursing care, home care, Personal Assistants, and supported living in the London Borough of Sutton.
Staff Groups B, C, D, and E as per the Bournemouth University National Mental Capacity Act Competency Framework.
Level 3 staff and above (ref: NHS Intercollegiate document 2018 - Adult Safeguarding: Roles and Competencies For Healthcare Staff): Registered health care staff who engage in assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of adults where there are safeguarding concerns (as appropriate to role)
A virtual interactive training session to enable professionals to understand the issue of domestic abuse and safeguarding adults and to practise safely when domestic abuse is an issue. There is a special emphasis on financial abuse.
By the end of this session participants will have an :
- increased knowledge and understanding about the definition of domestic abuse and the complex range of behaviours: involved as outlined in the Duluth Wheel
- increased understanding of the impact of domestic abuse on a person
- improved awareness of to identify and recognised the effects of coercion and control on decision-making, and when a safeguarding response is required
- increased knowledge and confidence on how to safely raise the issue of domestic abuse with a service user
- awareness on how to recognise when risks to the service user are increasing and when to refer to another professional
- increased understanding of the principles of Making Safeguarding Personal and how they would apply to practice in domestic abuse circumstances
The link to the virtual session will be provided one or two days befor the session is due.
Please note that Zoom does not work with Internet Explorer or Safari and there will be issues with sound or video. An up-to-date browser such as Google Chrome or if you have a windows-based laptop, you can find Microsoft Edge by typing it into the search in the start bar. All LBS staff are set up with compatible Google Chrome laptops.