Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Refresher (half day)
Date & Time:
Adult Social Care staff within the London Borough of Sutton and Private, Independent and voluntary (PVI) sector supporting Sutton residents in residential care, nursing care, home care, Personal Assistants, and supported living.
Staff Groups B, C, D, and E as per the Bournemouth University National Mental Capacity Act Competency Framework.
Level 3 staff and above (ref: NHS Intercollegiate document 2018 - Adult Safeguarding: Roles and Competencies For Healthcare Staff): Registered health care staff working with adults who engage in assessing, planning, intervening and evaluating the needs of adults where there are safeguarding concerns (as appropriate to role); and other named and designated professionals with specialist roles.
Note: This course is not suitable for staff with limited experience of the MCA or DoLS,
Please book DoLS awareness if you have not undertaken this training on this topic previously.
This training session aims to update and refresh participants’ knowledge of DoLS and provide updates on case law to ensure that practice is legally compliant.
Following the completion of this course, participants will have:
- explored and gained understanding of a range of judgements that have been made by the Court of Protection in relation to DoLS, in particular any recent case law which informs practice
- reviewed and reflected on how the Supreme Court rulings of March 2014 in the “Cheshire West” and “MIG and MEG” cases have changed our understanding of what constitutes a “deprivation of liberty”
- Improved their skills and confidence on how to complete the relevant paperwork to make an application to the local authority for authorisation to deprive a person of their liberty (applicable to residents in care homes and patients in hospital settings)
- Improved their skills and confidence how to complete the relevant paperwork to make an application directly to the Court of Protection for authorisation to deprive a person of their liberty (applicable to people who live in supported living, Shared Lives, sheltered housing, and their own homes)
- Improved their knowledge of what constitutes a community DoLs
This is an update/refresher course which is not suitable for staff with limited experience of the MCA or DoLS. Please book DoLS awareness if you have not undertaken this training previously.