Continence Care for carers
Date & Time:
Venue:Sutton Civic Offices, G3, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
This course is for:
- Carers in Care Homes within the Private, Voluntary and Independent Sectors within Sutton and those who look after Sutton’s residents and
- Carers employed by the London Borough of Sutton, in particular the START Team
Please note this course is not open to domiciliary/home care providers within the private, independent and voluntary (PVI) sectors.
To promote the safe and effective management of peoples’ elimination needs:
Participants will have a good understanding of the causes of incontinence and factors that influence maintaining continence. Participants will be able to monitor bladder and bowel function, recognise changes and understand potential actions to take. Participants will know how to safely provide care for people with indwelling catheters. Participants will be able to apply new knowledge about continence and its management to their practice.
By the end of the training session participants will have:
- Increased knowledge of what it means to be continent
- Gained skills on applying strategies that promote continence
- Gained knowledge on the intrinsic and extrinsic causes of incontinence
- Improved their knowledge of potential health and psychological consequences of being incontinent of urine and/or faeces and the risks from constipation
- Developed skills on how to monitor bladder and bowel function
- Gained knowledge on actions to take if there are concerns
- Gained skills and confidence on how to provide catheter care, including maintaining comfort, dignity, infection control and safety.
Trainer:Sutton Health and Care
Venue Details:Sutton Civic Offices, G3, St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA
(020 8770 5000)